I don't usually do New Year's Resolutions. They just seem doomed to failure for me. But I recently decided that it's time for me to get in shape, and I think I can hand a few New Month Resolutions, it happening to be the beginning of May and all. So, I hereby resolve to work out 3 days a week, every week this month. I can handle that, right? Not too terribly intimidating of a resolution. Maybe I should use the word "goal" instead of "resolution." But no, that seems too much like a good intention that's not really going to happen. Better stick with "resolution."
Yesterday morning, after walking Madi down the road to school, I made my way to the convenient "hike-n-bike" trail that parallels the road we live off of. That is something nice about where we live - lots of parks and running trails. No need to spend money on a gym membership. As soon as I broke into a run, my entire body started protesting. I could almost hear the alveoli in my lungs and muscle fibers in my legs screaming at me "Noooo!!! What are you THINKING?! This is so wrong! Get back on the couch where you belong, and eat ice cream instead!" It was a challenge, but I ignored their persuasive voices and managed to go about 2 miles. Granted, I probably only ran for less than half of it, and by "run" I really mean "pathetic little survival shuffle," but it brought my heart rate up nonetheless, which is what I was going for. Then I went home and ate ice cream.
Day 2 was also a success. Of course a cold front blew in over night, and it was about 50 degrees with 500-mile-an-hour winds this morning, but I was determined. This time my friend Jessica joined me, and we walked very briskly for about 2.8 miles, according to the pedometer app on my phone. After that I walked to my dentist appointment down the road, then walked home, and then ate ice cream. I think Haagen-Dazs will be my downfall. But the dentist said my teeth look great!
In other news, we went tadpole-hunting at the park yesterday evening. Madi caught one with her bare hands. But I think it turned out to be a minnow, not a tadpole. He now lives in a bowl on her dresser. I guess we should think up a name for him. Any suggestions?
No comments:
Post a Comment